I've deleted a bunch of old user accounts that were either never enabled or never revisited the site after being enabled. In the very highly unlikely possibility that you had an account and find that it has been deleted you will need to rejoin.
The downloads section is now back up and running.
All available downloads can now be downloaded without having to log in or become a member.
If there are any missing downloads or broken links please let me know
Been busy today tidying up the site. I've been meaning to get around to finishing off a few things, namely the poor cataloguing of the tutorials section and reinstatement of the downloads section which unfortunately broke during the last site update.
I've changed the tutorials section so that it runs off of the excellent SectionX from StackIdeas. I had perviously used SectionX on a few 1.5 sites and was very disappointed that it was never updated it for later Joomla versions. In the end I migrated the tutorials across to EasyBlog, but it was never quite the same.
Whilst recently updating a clients site I was pretty stoked to find that SectionX had been updated to work with the current Joomla versions. Great news! So I have installed it and re-enabled the old tutorials. All I need to do now is to go through the blogs and migrate any new posts back across to being a Joomla article. Stack Ideas offer a free plugin that claims to do this so I will give it a go and see what happens.
One thing that I will need to revisit is commenting for articles in the tutorials section. This was being handled by EasyBlog but will now have to managed by something like Komento. (another StackIdeas product)....
Looks like the Ubuntu forums have been hacked as they are currently offline.
The forum is currently displaying the maintenance page with the following information:
Ubuntu Forums is down for maintenance
There has been a security breach on the Ubuntu Forums. The Canonical IS team is working hard as we speak to restore normal operations. This page will be updated with progress reports.
What we know
Unfortunately the attackers have gotten every user's local username, password, and email address from the Ubuntu Forums database.
The passwords are not stored in plain text, they are stored as salted hashes. However, if you were using the same password as your Ubuntu Forums one on another service (such as email), you are strongly encouraged to change the password on the other service ASAP.
Ubuntu One, Launchpad and other Ubuntu/Canonical services are NOT affected by the breach.
2013-07-20 2011UTC: Reports of defacement
2013-07-20 2015UTC: Site taken down, this splash page put in place while investigation continues.
2013-07-21: we believe the root cause of the breach has been identified. We are currently reinstalling the forums software from scratch. No data (posts, private messages etc.) will be lost as part of this process.
2013-07-22 -> 2013-07-25: work on reinstalling the forums continues.
2013-07-26: the forums are up running again and being tested privately by Forum administrators.
I have had a few of my larger sites hosted at Green Geeks for a number of years now. At one time I used to use them exclusively for all of my hosting, years ago the prices were good, and the service was great. However, over time the level of service seemed to drop massively and the number of issues that I experienced seemed to grow exponentially.
One issue that kept rearing it's head was unexpected server updates. The techs had a habit of making server configuration changes without any prior notice meaning that you would come into work and find that 100 out of your 200 sites had features that had stopped working. These changes were usually in response to server security compromises, and amazingly on some of these occasions there was even a root breach. Such changes were an absolute nightmare and sometimes would result in losing two days or more to update code to work with the new convoluted configurations. In the end I simply moved everything to another host.
Whilst this was easy for most sites, I have a couple of larger sites that simply were not an easy task to migrate. The sheer size of the sites meant days of FTP time to transfer the files. I simply kept putting the migration off until the inevitable happened.
Well that inevitable moment happend recently when the billing cycle was unable to renew as my credit card details had expired. Instead of emailing me to let me know so that I could update my details they simply flipped the switch and took the sites offline. The first I knew of it was receiving an email from an irate client saying that their service had been suspended. Great....