This week is National Cyber Security Awareness Week here in Australia.
National Cyber Security Awareness Week is an annual initiative of the Australian Government held in partnership with industry, community and consumer groups and state and territory governments.
It is designed to raise awareness among Australians of cyber security risks and simple steps they can take to protect their personal and financial information online.
National Cyber Security Awareness Week 2010 is from 6 to 11 June. It will promote six easy tips for better online security:
1. Install security software and update it regularly.
2. Turn on automatic updates so that all your software receives the latest fixes.
3. Get a stronger password and change it at least twice a year.
4. Stop and think before you click on links or attachments.
5. Stop and think before you share any personal or financial information?about yourself or your friends and family.
6. Know what your children are doing online. Make sure they know to stay safe and encourage them to report anything suspicious.
Around 140 partners will promote the messages of the Awareness Week through activities online and events in regional and metropolitan Australia.
For more information, or to get involved in the week, please contact:
Cyber Security Section
Department of Broadband,
Communications and the Digital Economy
GPO Box 2154
Canberra ACT 2601
Tel: 02 6271 7095
Fax: 02 6271 1827